Me Facebook; Twitter; Tumblr; Instagram; Credits PostImages

Food and Fuel

So, recently, I'd been trying to learn to cook because the Redmond/Japan trip is coming and I really need to be saving money when I'm in Redmond, hence I need to be cooking quite often. Also, I'd always wanted to learn to cook, except that I had been lazy for so many years.

My First Keema
I remember back in my Home Economics days in secondary 2, I tried to cook Keema for the practical exam. It smelled good, but I really had no idea what I was doing, hence everything was overcooked and chao da. My classmate was so enthusiastic about trying it because it was curry, but the moment he tasted it, he kind of just shut up. Another friend had faith in me and took a huge bite but had no choice but to puke it out right after, because it was shit. I wasn't sad because I threw it away too.

My First Breakfast
Fast forward maybe 8 years, I finally took the initiative to cook my own breakfast. It was just a sausage and badly-scrambled eggs, but at least it's something.

My First Dinner
Last week, I shadowed my mum in cooking for the family so that I could cook my own dinner for the family this week. I did a Chicken Piccata with baked potato, broccoli, and scrambled eggs; there were lots of hiccups such as how I accidentally bought the wrong chicken because I didn't check properly, and how I didn't boil the broccoli long enough, but everything turned out fine.

The chicken itself was okay. I thought it was pretty good. The broccoli was saved by my mum when she came home and suggested that I let it simmer in chicken broth. The scrambled eggs was, to be honest, ruined by her because she insisted that I pour more milk in after I felt that it was enough. The baked potato was my favourite, and my mum enhanced it by adding some egg sandwich filling.

Had to crop it so tightly because it was an Instastory and I wrote words lol

The portion was a bit small but my family doesn't eat that much; I think I eat the most...?

I shall try to cook once every two weeks or something, but school work has been super crazy and continues to be. Honestly, being in BAGD, which is supposed to be the least intense course in Digipen, there is no reason for me to even be flooded with so much work; it's just that all the extra time we have compared to the other courses are poured into the game project (GAM) because it's all about implementation and design this semester.

School Stuff (actually, just GAM)
So let's talk/rant about that. I was honestly quite frustrated and burnt out this week because our GAM is in a very unstable state, due to ever-shifting direction and role switches. The role switch was just to adapt to our circumstances and honestly, I felt that it had to be done. The changing game direction was also due to circumstances but it wasn't really my call.

Anyway, I'd done up the level, scrapped it because the metrics was wrong due to miscommunication, and then tried to do some implementation, and ended up doing nothing because I was waiting for the coding side to be ready, and then learnt Spine, and then gave up, and then tried to do art, and then experienced tablet issues, and then met the production lecturer a lot to do production stuff, and then changed direction again, and then tried to do the new level, and then faced difficulties with a new animation pipeline. The whole week was spent on GAM and nothing was really done.

I'm not blaming anybody because everyone had been super helpful and on-the-ball, but it's just annoying how nothing was done. It's kind of my fault for giving up on Spine, but still...

If there was anything I'd learned from Uber back last year (I worked temp there by the way), it's that as "dynamic" and "flexible" a group claims that it is, constant change is bad. There is a reason why so many groups out there strive to be stable.

Food Hunt
And then, on to the "fuel" part of the post (the title is "Food and Fuel"; the fuel could refer to how I'm running out of fuel for school but that's pushing it a little).

Before the new year, Jasmine, Joshua, Zi Xing, and I went for a driving trip/food hunt around Singapore... except that only Jasmine was driving because my license was only one year and I couldn't register for TribeCar and we didn't want to risk Joshua or me driving and getting Jasmine into trouble. Also, the "food hunt" wasn't really a food hunt because everyone got too enthusiastic and bought too much food at the first location, which we were already familiar with. So, they were too full to eat other stuff.

And the fish head soup place I really wanted to try was closed :(

So, Amirah joined us after we completed the "hunt" and we just chilled in a cafe, and then waited for Jasmine to drive us to Bishan Park, chilled more, and headed home.

I kind of want to do it again, with an actual food hunt this time, in which I am driving too (I still need lots of practice). Not sure when that will happen.

Oh, I didn't really take any photo of food but I took a photo of this:


I guess the food hunt was just not meant to be.

Labels: , ,