Me Facebook; Twitter; Tumblr; Instagram; Credits PostImages

Nostalgia Games

Now that school has restarted and I'm taking a game design module again, we were given an assignment to do a really simple 2D game, which prompted me to research on really old but fun games I used to play. And then I fell into a rabbit hole of nostalgia, so I kind of just want to talk about certain small-time games that I used to love a lot.

Disney's Pocahontas (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)


Image from: http://games4win.com/games/pocahontas

This was one of those unlikely games that I happened to have played because my cousin recommended us to. My siblings didn't really like it but I got obsessed with it for some reason. Basically, Pocahontas (the Disney character) walks around, jumps around, and platforms around, trying to gain the "spirit" of animals in the forest. Using these spirits, she gains abilities to do various stuff, such as swimming (Otters), running (Deer), etc.

It is pretty generic when I think about it now, but for some reason that I couldn't remember, it was really fun to me, but at the same time, it was really short.

Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle (Gameboy Color)


Image from: https://gamefabrique.com/games/the-bugs-bunny-crazy-castle

This crazy game has 50+ levels. I really want to make a casual game like this one. Basically, you are Bugs Bunny, you can only walk left or right or press "up" at stairs/doors to enter. All you have to do is to collect all the carrots in the room without being killed by the "bad guys". You can also push things into the bad guys to kill them.

It is really fun because the levels were so well-designed. I found myself cornered, facing near-death, and breathing huge sighs of relief in this super simple but difficult game when I was in primary 6, I think.

Neopets: Meerca Chase
This was essentially "Snake", but in Neopets theme.

Neopets: Potato Counter
This was esssetially counting the number of potatoes they print on the screen. But back in my primary school days when I had nothing better to do, even that was fun.

Neopets: Fetch!
I actually forgot how this game works, but it was one of the few non-flash games. My computer was so shitty that it didn't even have Flash, so I really appreciated it a lot.

Facebook: Typing Maniac
I wasn't that obsessed with this typing game. It's just the only typing game I ever played and it was recommended by my sister's English teacher, which somehow mattered.

Facebook: Restaurant City
I remember spending so much time building my restaurant, deciding which dishes to serve, arranging the furnitures, and visiting my friends' restaurants to look at how beautiful they made things. My restaurant was called "Super Restaurant". Yet, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't earn enough money to upgrade it into something as big as my friends'.

Mega Man __ (Game Boy Color)
My first exposure to this awesome series is, of course, Gameboy. But I can't remember which Mega Man it was and I couldn't identify through the videos online, so meh.

I'm getting pretty lazy. Let's stop here.

Labels: ,